Thursday, December 15, 2016

District Questions

1.   1.      Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be an outstanding teacher.
a.       It is my belief that an outstanding teacher is one who is caring and compassionate, has great communication skills, and knows that they have their flaws. Some of the best teachers that I have had and I have gotten to observe use those flaws to build relationships and have engaging activities. Caring and compassion go hand in hand and student need to know that we care for them both in and out of school. I have come to understand that for some kids we are their only champions. Communication skills are important especially for an English teacher; one should have a sense of communication to teach communication. We need to be able communicate instructions, discipline, and sympathy.  

2.      Briefly describe how you would use technology in your classroom.
a.       The world is moving into a technological era and communication is right there with it. Although students are exposed to technology from an early start. There are still skills that they need to learn. Computer skills are important so whenever possible and if resources are available students will write various pieces using a computer. Also giving presentations would require the use of a projector. Although I would like the class to be as interactive as possible some instances call for a good slideshow presentation, where students just sit and take notes. I have an internal conflict about cellphones in the classroom. Yes, they can be utilized authentically in the classroom. However, they can still be a distraction and until I have solid expectations then they will be prohibited.

3.      How would you give recognition and praise to your students?

a.       Often praise and recognition are overlooked in lieu of reprimands and culpability. The recognition of positive behavior breeds positive behavior. The ticket reward system I have observed is very effective. It reinforces positive behavior by using a weekly drawing of a classroom set of rewards. These rewards often cost no money to the teacher and are things that students want. For example, they can be choose your seat for a day, sit in the comfy chair, listen to your music, and etc. If teachers are focusing on positive behavior then those kids are accumulating more tickets for the weekly drawing which then inspire others to behave and accumulate tickets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment